Happy St. Patrick’s Day! I have not celebrated in any way at all today, which makes me a little sad. I didn’t have the foresight to pack green clothing, unfortunately. However, I am indeed Irish—75%. (The other 25% is northern Italian.) My mom’s maiden name begins with O’ and my paternal grandmother’s maiden name starts with Mc. I have pale skin, freckles on my shoulders, and enjoy beer more than I should. I think that qualifies me, no? Growing up, we would always have corned beef, boiled potatoes and cabbage and soda bread today. Last year I made soda bread, but this year I’ve been lame and forgotten altogether. Fail.
Anyway. Woke up in a hotel room. My room service breakfast order showed up shortly thereafter. On the menu today? More food than I’d intended. The card I filled out was for eggs and toast and coffee only, but much to my surprise, I got scrambled eggs, bacon, breakfast potatoes, orange juice, and coffee.
The eggs were terrible. So was the bacon. So, I had toast, potatoes, orange juice and coffee for breakfast. Not the healthiest, but such is life.
I did my work thang in the morning and got on the road back to Kansas City around noon. It was a four hour drive. After the coffee debacle, I decided to grab lunch BEFORE I got on the road.
It was a long, foggy, boring drive. Thank goodness for Dan Savage podcasts.
Somewhere along the way, I decided I might as well do my long run today. I’d be back at the office at 3, meaning I could be at the gym by 3:30, do the run, and be home before 6. If I waited to do it tomorrow, I wouldn’t be able to start until 5 and wouldn’t be home until 7:30 or 8! Plus, I got a lot of sleep last night and was sitting on my bum all day.
I changed and walked over to the gym. I wasn’t sure if I’d want two gels or one, so I brought two just in case. I also brought some Gatorade powder because I remember craving it during my run last week.
And…the running commenced. Today marked the start of double-digits for me with my first 10 miler! I broke it into two 5 mile segments. I took the Tri-Berry Gu at mile 5, and refilled my water bottle and added some of the Gatorade powder.
The first five miles weren’t bad, and I definitely felt a nice energy rush after the Gu. But at about mile 7.5, my energy started to wane. Fine. I can push through low energy. But at mile 9, I realized I probably a) should have saved the gatorade for post run and b) probably should have incorporated both gels into the run. My stomach started feeling kind of barfy and sloshy. Nonetheless, I pushed through, literally counting down the seconds until the 10 miles were done!
All in all, 10 miles in 1:40:00—I stuck the treadmill at 6.0 and left it there. (I took maybe 1 minute to reset the treadmill and fill my bottle, but whatever.) It wasn’t a bad run, but I think that I learned that 9 miles and over requires two Gus—maybe at mile 4 and 8 or something. I also forgot a stick of gum, which helps with dry mouth, so I drank too much water which I think contributed to the stomach issues.
My right foot is also a hot mess. It kind of reminds me of raw ground turkey. And the toenail just keeps getting blacker. Sigh.
In other news, remember the awful yellow flowered capris Victoria’s Secret sent me instead of my rehearsal dinner dress? Well, the actual rehearsal dress showed up yesterday.
I need to wear it with Spanx to smooth everything out, because it’s a little clingy, but I do like it and the price/casualness level was perfect. I think I’ll wear it with some kind of sandal, maybe. It’ll also be good to take on the honeymoon.
So, that’s that. 10 miles, in the books, and I lived to tell the tale. Just tack a 5K onto that and I’ve got a half marathon! Eep!
Are you Irish? Do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day?
Filed under: fitness, food, wedding | Tagged: blister, breakfast, feet, gu, holiday, long run, rehearsal dinner, running, travel, treadmill, work | 6 Comments »